PROJECT 529 BIKE REGISTRY
The Oak Bay Police Department has partnered with “Project 529”, a free, online bike registration platform where you can register your bike(s) and all bikes in your family in the same “Garage”.
You can also search the registry if you find an abandoned bike and contact the owner to make return arrangements if the bike is registered. Bicycles can be queried by make/model, serial number, or shield number and results sorted by distance, match, etc.
IF YOUR BIKE IS STOLEN
Call the non-emergency police line for the municipality in which it was stolen and file a police report; and either:
- Go into your account to set an “alert” and follow the prompts if your bike is already registered with Project 529 and add the police file number; or
- Register you bike with Project 529 and set the alert.
PROTECT YOUR BIKE
- Register your bicycle with Project 529 Bike Garage.
- Purchase a hardened steel U-shaped bike lock or hardened steel chain and padlock.
- Lock your bicycle and both wheels to an immovable object which cannot be easily cut or broken.
Weak, inexpensive locks will not deter a proficient thief. It is pointless to save money by using a cheaply made lock, only to lose an expensive bicycle. To prevent loss, accessories such as lights and bags, etc… should be detached and taken with you when the bicycle is left unattended.
Before riding your bicycle, take steps to protect yourself from injury.
- Wear an approved bicycle safety helmet.
- Use proper lights and reflectors.
- Follow all road safety rules.